Flavours Are Vital to Vaping
We know that flavours are crucially important to helping adult smokers transition to vaping, and that eliminating flavoured e-liquids would result in a bland and boring experience that’s simply not attractive for most adult smokers.
A growing body of international scientific research shows that flavours play a crucial role in attracting and retaining adult smokers in the vaping category, directly contributing to tobacco harm reduction and declining smoking rates.
Flavours also help prevent relapsing. Many former adult smokers report moving to non-tobacco flavoured liquids as a way of moving permanently away from cigarettes. For this reason, blanket bans on flavours offered to adult vapers are disproportionate and unjustified.
The Importance Of Flavours
Vape e-liquids are virtually flavourless without the use of flavouring ingredients. The main ingredients in vapour liquids are propylene glycol, glycerol, and nicotine, and all are odourless. As such, the use of flavourless or limited-flavour vapour liquids would result in a bland experience for adult smokers.
Access to a variety of flavours in vape e-liquid is a critical factor for adults looking to transition from smoking to vaping successfully. In our opinion there are several potential unintended consequences of governments expanding the prohibition of flavours in e-liquids generally or of banning the manufacture and sale of individual flavours. These include:
- Adult smokers being deterred from trying vaping, which reduces the harm reduction potential
- Adult smokers relapsing to cigarettes after transitioning to vaping
- An increase in DIY (non-regulated) flavour-making, creating risks from a consumer safety perspective
- The emergence of illicit trade in flavoured vapour liquids or flavour ingredients
Responsible Marketing of blu Flavours
Fontem Ventures designs all blu flavour marketing in ways intended to appeal to adult smokers. We are unequivocal about the need for manufacturers to act responsibly regarding product marketing and promotion of flavours. We do not use any names, descriptors, packaging or labelling intended to target youth and at the same time make clear that blu vape product are designed for adult smokers only. Our flavor marketing guidelines are as follows:
- No reference to, or brand-stretching with, any fictional or cultural characters, cartoons, caricatures or toys targeted towards or significantly popular among youth
- No tobacco brand-sharing
- No flavouring names and descriptors with suggestions of rebellious, sexualised or risk-taking behaviours or use expletives that could appeal to youth
- No flavouring names and descriptors featuring buzzwords or slang primarily popular among youth
- No flavourings names and descriptors similar to or linked with food or drink brands which are aimed at youth
- Packaging designs must be aligned to adult vaping consumers preferences, and not styled using imagery that is particularly appealing to youth
- No flavourings presented to create an impression that a vape liquid is any other type of product, including but not limited to food, drinks or cosmetics, whether in terms of its shape, material, motifs or the descriptors on the packaging
- No packaging featuring cartoon figures and entertainment characters that are primarily of appeal to youth
- No illustrations with designs of food, drink or other consumer products