Product Quality and Safety Standards
Building Consumer Trust
We believe that the regulation of vapour products should be based on mandatory compliance with robust product quality, safety, microbial, manufacturing and distribution standards to limit any thermal, mechanical, microbial, chemical or electrical risks.
These mandatory standards would create a level playing field for all vape manufacturers, while helping to build consumer and regulator trust and confidence in the category. So we urge governments and regulators to play a key role in ensuring this aspiration becomes a reality.
There are currently too many irresponsible players in the vape space.
What Are Our Product Quality Standards?
Product quality and safety standards comprise of the following category areas:
- Product quality standards and specifications
- Design and manufacturing
- Product safety for e-liquids and e-liquid ingredients
- Product safety for device components and battery
The four category areas must be aligned and operationalized in parallel to ensure the effectiveness of the product quality and safety standards processes.
1. Product Quality Standards and Specifications
- E-liquids are tested and screened at three key moments in their manufacture; goods receipt, in-process and release for sale to consumers
- Device batteries are measured to ensure batteries and heating elements are of the highest possible electrical safety and quality
2. Design and Manufacturing
The manufacturing process and quality controls apply across our whole supply chain and are currently in place at all partner manufacturers of our vape products. Our current supply chain comprises of;
- Devices and pods are designed and developed at our innovation center in Liverpool, UK
- Devices and pods are manufactured in China
- E-liquids are developed in Liverpool, with bulk e-liquid mixing taking place in Europe and the USA
- E-liquids are then blended, prior to pods being filled and packed in China and the USA
3. Product safety for e-liquids and e-liquid ingredients
As part of our product assessment, we analyse raw e-liquid ingredients and materials to ensure they adhere to broad principles of design and quality, as well as developing strict manufacturing standards. To ensure our e-liquid ingredients are of the highest industry standard, we employ a large team of experienced toxicologists to conduct detailed risk assessments on our product ingredients and components.
4. Product Safety for Device Components and Battery
In our blu vape product, we incorporate lithium-ion batteries which are safe for consumer use and meet the following specifications. The technical requirements are as stated in the latest blu User Manual inserted in blu device packaging:
- Do not use any charging device that has not been created by blu and do not charge for an extended period
- Do not store in direct sunlight or store above 25 degrees centigrade or below 2 degrees centigrade
- Do not expose or immerse the product in water
blu devices, batteries and accessories meet all requirements of the latest versions of the relevant electrical safety standards. For example, in the EU blu devices are CE-certified and assessed by an independent third party and display the required disposal markings. In addition, all blu devices comply with:
- General Product Safety Directive (ref: 2001/95/EC)
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (ref: 2011/65/EU)
- Low Voltage Directive (ref: 2014/35/EU)
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (ref: 2014/30/EU)
- Battery Safety Standard and battery testing (transportation) is in UN38.3
Our blu devices also contain safety features: over-voltage controls to protect from electrical shock and over-heating controls to protect against fire and explosions.