Amsterdam, Netherlands – September 18th 2018 – Fontem Ventures, the business behind blu® e-vapour products, filed comments today with Health Canada on its proposed list of statements for use in the promotion of vaping products.
“As outlined in our filing, we think Health Canada has chosen the correct and responsible way to help smokers make the best, evidence-based decisions if they consider switching to vaping,” said Ross Parker, Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications at Fontem Ventures.
Fontem Ventures is launching its myblu pod-based e-vapour device and myblu Intense flavours in retail on a trial basis in Quebec, Canada this month ahead of a nationwide launch in January 2019.
In its filing, Fontem remarked that any promotional messages should reflect both the risks and the benefits of the category so that adult smokers can make an informed choice. Such information should not exaggerate risks to deter use, and Fontem believes Health Canada’s proposed statements strike a good balance. If adopted, these statements would be the first authorised promotional statements to recognise and maximise the opportunities of vaping products in tobacco harm reduction.
“More jurisdictions should follow Canada’s lead. Informed consumers will make better choices, which could lead to better public health outcomes,” Parker said.
Health Canada issued a request for comments on September 4th, and said it was exploring options for future regulations that would permit the use of certain comparative statements (see appendix) in vaping product promotion, with the objective of preventing consumers from being misled about the health hazards of vaping products. The selected permitted statements would be supported by science and expressed in clear terms to ensure that tobacco users are better informed about the relative health effects of using vaping products.
You can download Fontem Ventures’ response to Health Canada here
Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications
+31 (0) 62 850 42 50
About Fontem Ventures
Fontem Ventures is the e-vapor business behind blu® e-vapor products. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Fontem Ventures’ purpose is to drive electronic vaping technology forward, and deliver something better to smokers and vapers around the world.
Health Canada – Proposed List of Statements for Use in the Promotion of Vaping Products
- If you are a smoker, switching completely to vaping is a much less harmful option
- While vaping products emit toxic substances, the amount is significantly lower than in tobacco smoke
- By switching completely to vaping products, smokers are exposed to a small fraction of the 7,000 chemicals found in tobacco smoke
- Switching completely from combustible tobacco cigarettes to e-cigarettes significantly reduces users’ exposure to numerous toxic and cancer-causing substances
- Completely replacing your cigarette with a vaping product will significantly reduce your exposure to numerous toxic and cancer causing substances
- Switching completely from smoking to e-cigarettes will reduce harms to your health
- Completely replacing your cigarette with an e-cigarette will reduce harms to your health
Fontem Ventures suggested amendments
- “If you are a smoker, switching to vaping is a much less harmful option”
- “The limited amount of toxic substances that may be found in vaping product aerosols are less harmful and more than a thousand times lower than those found in tobacco smoke”
- “By switching to vaping products, smokers may be exposed to a small fraction of the 7,000 chemicals found in tobacco smoke”
- “Switching from tobacco to vaping products significantly reduces users’ exposure to the thousands of toxic and cancer-causing substances found in tobacco smoke”
- “Replacing your tobacco with a vaping product will significantly reduce your exposure to the thousands of toxic and cancer-causing substances found in tobacco smoke
- “Switching completely from tobacco to vaping products will reduce harms to your health”
- “Completely replacing your tobacco with a vaping product will reduce harms to your health”
- “Vaping is likely to be much less harmful than smoking”